Monday, June 9, 2008

Chocolate-chip Cherry Banana Bread...


Made this one up tonight. Banana bread will satisfy my sweet tooth, and a slice is a perfect pre-run food. MUCH better than a power bar. Plus, it lasts about a week.

3 ripe bananas
1 egg
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/3 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar

Mash up bananas, and blend in all the other stuff. add:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt

add all the dry stuff, Mix up well. Add about a cup of fresh, sliced cherries, and about 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips. Bake at 350 in a greased pan for 45 min to 1 hour.

I made this up to not let my cherries go to waste. I bought a bag at whole foods this weekend, and they were probably $20, since fruit there is so expensive. I cut them up last night for snacking and discovered this evening they were already starting to get mushy. I was too lazy to go get ice cream to put them on, or get buttermilk to make my cobbler topping, so I came up with this. It turned out pretty good. You could also use strawberries if you don't feel like spending $20 on cherries at whole foods.

FYI, this is a perfect ultrarunning food. Packages well, not messy (especially if you leave out the chocolate), and not near as fiberous as some of those Clif bars are....and a lot cheaper. It is super easy to make and not a lot of clean up. I have yet to find a bar that is truly tasty. Pro Bars are kinda good, but they are $3 each. that is crazy. You could pre-wrap slices of this, put into your drop bags, and you have a much better goodie than a dry, power or clif bar.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Yummy. I make banana bread using almost exactly the same recipe and it's the best banana bread I've ever found. Never added chocolate chips or cherries though. May have to try that - thanks for the idea.

sr in tx said...

Yay! More recipes! I look forward to these posts, Clea.

Moogy said...

I'll try it this week w/ my general gluten-free flour mix. Sounds deelish.

clea said...

Glad y'all like the recipe. Baking is my favorite...I'll have to post a cookie recipe next.

GandaMan said...

I am giving this a try tonight!